Live Well @ Your Library: Restoration (at Penn Park, 2101 Fisher St)
For the third event in the Live Well @ Your Library series, we are collaborating with two fantastic events in south Madison's Penn Park. Live Well @ Your Library is joining the Black & Brown Unity Picnic and the Latino Chamber of Commerce's La Plaza Market(link is external) for an exciting outdoor event that approaches wellness in an interactive way. Live Well @ Your Library has worked to listen to the community and uplift BIPOC voices and practitioners. By joining forces with these two events, we're excited to offer a wider range of activities, while still staying true to our mission to provide self-care and wellness opportunities for the community.
Main Event Times:
- 10-3 p.m.: La Plaza Market from the Latino Chamber of Commerce
- 1-4 p.m.: Live Well @ Your Library: Restoration
- 2:30-4:30 p.m.: Black & Latino Unity Picnic
As always, there will be a mixture of passive and experiential events offered throughout the events, including:
- Welcome table with giveaways from Be Well Madison and We Read (Madison Public Library)
- Food Carts as part of the Carts in the Parks program with the Latino Chamber of Commerce
- Support small, local minority-owned businesses with the Latino Chamber of Commerce
- Facepainting with the Black & Latino Unity Picnic
- A martial arts demonstration with Perfect Moves Martial Arts
- Local poets and artist by Black Latino Unity
- Screenprinting station with a custom screen for the event! Bring your own t-shirts or screenprint free tote bags! "The Stage is For the People"
- 15 minute acupuncture sessions with Dr. Heidi Eimermann of Whole You Acupuncture(link is external)
- A self-guided station for kids + adults featuring Bubbler Artist Cohort member Teenah Wilder(link is external)
- Spanish/English Storytimes on the Spot with Savannah C. the youth librarian at Goodman South Madison Library
- Opportunity to contribute to a brief survey about wellness service access in your community
- One-on-one Reiki sessions with local practitioner Takeyla Benton
- Blood Pressure Checks
- Book Signing with local author Denise Hardnett
- 1 p.m.: Live band at the pavilion courtesy of the Latino Chamber of Commerce
- 2-4 p.m.: 15 minute acupuncture sessions with Dr. Heidi Eimermann of Whole You Acupuncture
- 2:30 p.m.: Cupid Shuffle Dance Off with the Black and Latino Unity Picnic
- 2:45-3:15 p.m.: Community Conversation on Wellness with Live Well and the Black & Latino Unity Picnic
- 3:15 p.m.- 4:30 p.m.:
- Food treats, door prizes (while supplies last)
- Local talent entertainment
- Community discussion on Black and Latino Community Matters
Participants can drop in between 10-4:30 p.m. or stay for the duration of the event. There is extra parking available at Goodman South Madison Library (2222 S Park St) and Villager Mall. Masks are strongly encouraged at all outdoor library events for those age 2 and up.
About Live Well @ Your Library:
Madison Public Library, in collaboration with Be Well Madison(link is external) and Wisconsin Mujer(link is external), will host a series of events centered on health and wellness titled Live Well @ Your Library. Events will take place the last Sunday of each month from June-August, and will focus on themes of Reflection, Renewal, Restoration and Celebration. In September, a longer culminating event will take place at Central Library to go along with the Celebration theme and end the series.
About the Black & Latino Unity Picnic:
The event is part of an overall grassroots effort to promote unity and collaboration between the Black and Latino Communities. 100% Family friendly, 100% Free, 100% Community.
About La Plaza Community Market:
The LCC Plaza Community Markets are designed to create opportunities for underrepresented communities of color. Their goals are to support collaboration, community, education and build economic independence for micro-businesses.
- Live Well @ Your Library: Celebration | Sunday, September 19, 1-4:30 p.m. | Central Library
- Live Well @ Your Library: Reflection | Sunday, June 79 , 1-3 p.m. | Pinney Library porch
- Live Well @ Your Library: Renewal | Sunday, July 25, 1-3 p.m. | Meadowood Park
"Live Well @ Your Library" is inspired by the work of Venus Washington, Jasmine Timmons, Araceli Esparza and Nikki Cook and their "Nourish You" Library Takeover Project, and seeks to empower those who have not always felt included in traditional wellness spaces, particularly BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color) communities.
Can't participate but interested in future programming? Participate in the Live Well @ Your Library Community Wellness Survey(link is external)
This event made possible thanks to grants from Lululemon and All of Us - UW.