(FULL) ONLINE-Register for Free Tax Filing-Contact Free (Virtual Only) Option
Free, contact-free help filing your 2020 income tax return, provided by AARP.
AARP offers free tax return preparation to anyone who needs it. Some situations are outside the scope of this free service, as determined by the IRS and AARP Foundation. Due to COVID-19 and volunteer capacity, this service is significantly reduced this year.
This AARP Contact Free Option through Madison Public Library is only for filers with strong computer usage skills who meet the following requirements:
- Must be able to use Google Meet from a personal device for a series of 3 or 4 virtual meetings, likely Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the day (you do not need to have a Google account or Google's gmail to join a Google Meet session on a laptop or desktop computer, but you will need to log in to a Google account to join from a tablet or smartphone.)
- Must have a valid email address
- Must be able to scan and submit all required documents via email (a secure email link will be provided)
Please follow the steps below to get in line for a Contact Free appointment in March. This registration form will remain open through March until all slots are full.
1. Click "Sign up / Register" at the bottom of this page. You do not have a virtual appointment yet.
2. An AARP tax volunteer will contact you to answer initial questions and email documents for you to fill out, and instructions to prepare for tax filing. Please expect to be contacted within a week. You do not have a virtual appointment yet.
3. Once you have gathered, scanned and submitted the necessary documents, call the number included in your intake packet to book your initial virtual appointment. As long as you 1) meet eligibility requirements, and 2) respond to communication from the AARP tax volunteer before the end of March, you will get a virtual appointment. Virtual appointments will likely take place on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the day.
Please Note: A virtual appointment is not a guarantee that your income tax will be filed through AARP. It is a preliminary step in the process.