FULL-Register for Free Tax Filing - Central Library
Free help filing your 2020 income tax return, provided by VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance). This service is intended for:
People who generally make $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly, and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. No businesses. Some situations are outside the scope of this free service.
- Must be able to appear in person twice to drop off and pick up your documents (UNLESS you become ill - you’ll receive instructions on how to notify us and reschedule. Our volunteers will still complete your return)
- Must be reachable by phone. If your volunteer tax preparer cannot reach you, your return will not be completed
Due to COVID-19 and volunteer capacity, this service is significantly reduced this year. Please follow the steps below to get in line for an appointment in February. We will not book appointments for March or April until next month.
- Decide which location you prefer:
- Central Library, 201 W. Mifflin St, will have appointments on Saturdays in February-early April
- Lakeview Library, 2845 N. Sherman Ave, will have appointments on (*updated*) Wednesdays and Fridays in February-early April
- Starting Tuesday, January 19, click "Sign up / Register" at the bottom of this page for Central, or on this page for Lakeview. You do not have an appointment yet.
Reminder: At this time, please register only if you are available in February.
- We will send you an intake packet with documents for you to fill out, and instructions to prepare for tax filing. You do not have an appointment yet.
- Once you have gathered and filled out the necessary documents, call the number included in your intake packet during the designated times to book your appointment. As long as you 1) meet eligibility requirements, and 2) call and speak to library staff during the designated times included in your intake packet, you will get an appointment.